Friday, 26 October 2012

Muse - The 2nd Law

Freddie Mercury / Skrillex Tribute Act

I'll be completely honest; I was very apprehensive about listening to this record, for a number of reasons. When I heard Muse were releasing a new album, of course I was extremely excited, but when they mentioned they would add elements of Dubstep, Dance and various other obscure genres, I immediately panicked. Don't get me wrong, I love Dubstep, but I couldn't imagine it working in a Muse album. But I gave them the benefit of the doubt and gave 'The 2nd Law' a listen.

When I saw Muse live at Wembley Stadium roughly 2 years ago, I thought it was one of the best gigs I've ever been to. Everything from the atmosphere of 90,000 fans singing along to anthems such as 'Plug in Baby', to the astounding stage effects, and the pure musicianship of the trio. So I was hoping for anything reminiscent of their older work on this new album.

Well, I was surprised. The one thing I didn't expect from an experimental Muse album was for it to be boring, but unfortunately that's all I could think when listening to it. I hoped and prayed it would be somewhat exciting and atmospheric, but I didn't get what I wished for. Musically, it was competent, but there was no feel of extravaganza. It almost felt too safe, which is surprising seeing as it was meant to be Muse taking a new direction. The whole album screamed out 'Queen' (the band, not the old bird sitting on the throne) As we know, singer Matt Bellamy has a massive man-crush on the great Freddie Mercury, however at times this record just felt like a pure rip-off of Queen.

Now to answer the question you've been dying to ask; how did the Dubstep elements fit in? Well my answer is they were probably the highlight of the album. When it got to the tracks that escaped the cheesy sounds of 1960's rock, the modern sounds of Dubstep gave the album a slight boost. In a way it worked, but nothing groundbreaking. Korn's Dubstep inspired album 'The Path of Totality' is one you would wanna listen to, so you can hear the hybrid of genres work successfully.

So overall, a decent attempt at something new by one of the world's greatest bands, but it is nothing that is revolutionary.

Stand-out tracks: Survival (yes it gets more catchy the more you listen to it) Unsustainable.

Rating: 6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment